His CSR file makes no mention of his Cavalry service.
Note, the National Park Service records 5 men. Believe there is one duplicate in this list. I cannot locate any of these men in the CW Research Database
Joseph R. Breare
Residence Dale County AL; a 28 year-old Lawyer.
Enlisted on 7/1/1861 at Dale County, AL as a Private.
On 7/1/1861 he mustered into "E" Co. AL 15th Infantry
He was discharged for promotion on 12/1/1863
(Estimated date of discharge to raise a Cavalry unit)
He was listed as:
* Detailed (date and place not stated) (Detailed as regiment clerk)
* POW 7/2/1863 Gettysburg, PA
* Exchanged 11/1/1863 (place not stated) (Estimated date)
* 3rd Lieut 4/25/1862
* Capt 12/1/1863 (Estimated date of Cavalry unit)
born in England
died in 1866 in Newton, Dale County, AL
(Killed in storm by falling tree)
After the War he lived in Newton, Dale County, AL
Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:
- Index to Compiled Confederate Military Service Records
- The War Between the Union & Confederacy: Wm Oates
Enlisted as a Private, advanced to 2nd Sergeant, n.d., promoted 2nd Lieutenant June 5, 1862, missing in action July 2, 1863, captured at Gettysburg, same date, sent to Fort Delaware July 7, 1863, forwarded to Johnsons Island July 18, paroled at Point Lookout, Maryland and sent to City Point, Virginia March 16, 1864 for exchange, tenders resignation May 21/August 24, 1864, AWOL from July 2, 1864, May/June-July/August-Sept./October 1864-Absent without leave, note on November 29, 1864, "Were supposed to be found[?] Newton, Ala., resignation forwarded in Sept.," an endorsement dated February 4, 1865 states "Res forwarded with the request that this officer be dropped and that he be arrested and returned to this army. For Gen R. E Lee," dropped from rolls February 15, 1865
• Note: There is a letter from a the Headquarters of the 15th Alabama Infantry to Gen. S. Cooper, dated January 26, 1865 too faint to read His file also contains a printed form for any State Sheriff to summon ____________ to appear at a Circuit Court, etc. not filled out, n.d.
[Compiled Service Records]
BRIER'S CAVALRY, ALABAMA RESERVES - roster
Displaying records 1 to 5 of 5
No. Last, First Company Rank_In Rank_Out
Carter, J.N. Private Private
Carter, J.P. Private Private
Maunt, L.F. Private Private
Mount, L. F. Private Private
Mount, T. F. Private Private
[NPS Soldiers and Sailors System]