Re: Old Federal Road
Places along the road that I am familiar include: (1) Camp Davis, Section 3, Township 16 North, Range 21 East, a Confederate training camp. (2) Cubbahattchee, also spelled Cubahatchie, located Section 9, Township 16 North, Range 21 East was the site of a tavern where General Lafayette spent at least one night. (3) Battle of Autossee, located Section 20, T17N, R21E, an engagement between the Creeks and Americans under Gen. John Floyd in command of the Georgia militia. The actual site was one mile from the Federal road south of the Tallapoosa near the mouth of Callabee Creek. It was around this time that Floyd built Ft. Mitchell along the Chattahoochie River. (4) Home of Gen. John Floyd located S27, T17N, R21E 2 miles north of the road. (5) Shorter located S1, T16N, R21E. This community located on the section of the road improved during construction of U.S. 80. The community of Shorter formed around a tavern, operated by William Walker at the junction of the Federal road west, the Tuckabatchee road north, and the Ft. Jackson road northwest. Walker married the daughter of Tustenugge Thlucco (Big Warrior), Chief of the Upper Creek until 1825.(6) Ft. Decatur located NW1/4, S20, T17N, R22E 4 miles north of Federal road. Built during Creek War. (7) Pole Cat Springs located SE1/4 of SW1/4, S6, T16N, R22E. Site of the Pole Cat Indian Agency that operated from 1805 until 1836. (8) Calabee located S7&8, T16N, R22E. Located on section of road improved when US 80 constructed. (9) La Place located S9, T16N, R22E. Also on section of road improved when US 80 constructed. (10) Callabee Battleground located on Callabee Creek in S12, T16N, R22E. Battle begun 27 Jan 1814. Gen. Floyd, who was wounded at Autossee recovered at Ft. Mitchell and moved along the Federal road. He established forts in present day Russell County (Ft. Bainbridge) and present day Macon County (Ft. Hull). Learning that the Creeks were encamped at Hoithlewallee, Floyd moved to high ground above Callabee swamp and after council at McGirths' Still House branch, the Creeks attacked Floyd with 1800 warriors, the most during the Creek War. (11) Ft. Hull located Section 23 or 24, T16N, R23E. This was the westernmost military outpost constructed by the Georgians under Gen. Floyd. Big Warrior later built a racetrack here. Alexander Cornells lived here at Permission Swamp and signed the Treaty of Washington as Oche Haujo on 5 Nov. 1805. This treaty authorized the horse path through the Creek Nation. Before the road came into existence, Zacariah McGirth operated a tavern near Permission Creek. (12) Warriorstand located 7 miles west of Ft. Bainbridge in S4, T15N, R25E. Home of the Big Warrior. (13) Creek Stand located in S7, T15N, R26E. Site of a tavern and early post office. Important to the road because Sampson Lanier advertised in the Columbus Enquirer after a new bridge was opened at Columbus. His advertisements opened the route called the Upper raod that directly traffic to Montgomery where travellers caught the steamboats. The southern route lost its importance.