Fay's Battery (Etowah Iron Works Artillery) (State Troops)
Confederate Cannon Manufacturer
Etowah Works, GA.: Probably Etowah Iron Works. Operated by Quinby & Robinson (q.v.). Made shot and shell. Etowah Iron Works, Cartersville, GA., Mark A. Copper, proprietor. On April 21, 1861, the Confederate Government contracted with the above for both field pieces and 8 and 10-inch Columbiads, but Copper proved unable to fill the contract. (Vandiver, 62-63) It was reported that the plant employed 500 hands. (Albaugh and Simons, 213) The firm was later bought out by William Quinby and William Robinson, formerly of Memphis. There is no indication that any cannon were ever cast at the plant. The War Department at one time studied Cartersville as a possible site for a national cannon foundry, but Selma, Alabama, was later selected. The Columbus Daily Sun of May 26, 1864, reported that all the machinery and stores at the plant had been removed by rail and the 250 slaves by wagon train.