Re: Old Federal Road
Polecat Springs was east of Calabee Creek (near present day Shorter in Macon County) and west of Line Creek, the boundary of the Creek Nation set forth in the Treaty of Ft. Jackson. From ca 1805 to 1836, it was the site of an indian agency. In the vicinity of the agency was a tavern operated by William Walker, sometimes identified as Captain Walker for his service during the War of 1812. Walker married the daughter of Big Warrior and died in 1836 at Apalachicola, Florida leading a company of indian soldiers against the Creeks who attempted to join the Seminoles. The importance of the area was due to the Walker Tavern, the last white residence in the Creek territory for west bound settlers, and the intersection of major trails. The Tuckabatchee path that connected the indian towns to the Spanish traders at Pensacola and the road to Ft. Jackson at the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers intersected with the path that became the Federal road near present day Shorter and Walker's Tavern in that time. As for the exact location, this may be a question for the local historical society.