Nineteen companies organized for local defense service in Mobile by Aug 24, 1863. Members had to be under or over age, foreigners, exempts or men discharged from regular Confederate military service. Sixteen came from the city of Mobile and three from Mobile County, the latter including a mounted command under Capt Brown Manning. Six city companies formed Moreland's Fire Battalion, ten others becoming the 1st Mobile Volunteers. The remaining two must have been the Alabama State Artillery, attached to the 1st Mobile Volunteers until February 1864. Enlisting for three years or the war, officers and men entered active service on Nov 22, 1863.
As far a fighting is concerned, members of this command usually served as provost guards. They patrolled city streets, guarded military depots and manned fortifications around Mobile until the city was evacuated by Confederate forces on Apr 11, 1865. Survivors apparently disbanded before Federal troops made their appearance.