Apparently caretakers at Hollywood were not informed --
His body was taken to Richmond the next day and was placed in a vault in Hollywood Cemetery. From there he was interred in the Maryland Section for a short while, but his family decided to move his body to lot O-9 which was owned by John C. Page, a wealthy shoe merchant who had cared for him in 1862 after he had been wounded at Frayser's Farm. Somehow the exact location of his grave has been lost, and in 1971 a granite marker to his memory was erected in Section R. The marker reads: IN THIS CEMETERY LIES GEN. JOHN CALDWELL CALHOUN SANDERS C.S.A. APR. 4, 1840 - AUG. 21, 1864 LEE CHAPTER U.D.C. 123 1971.