The Alabama in the Civil War Message Board

Re: Pictures of the 15th Ala Inf

Flag: 16th Alabama Infantry
Catalogue No. 86.3937.1
(PN10093, PN10196)
Order a copy print


The American CW Research Data Base, Historical Data Systems, Inc. have these photos of men of the 16th Alabama

John Hollis Bankhead, Co. K, Enlisted, Post war, U. S. Congress

James Ephraim Chilcoat, Co. F, Enlisted, discharged 04/28/65 at Charlotte, NC, post war photo from Confederate Veteran

Barton Dickson, Co. A, enlisted 08/01/61, Commissioned Officer, post war in UCV uniform from Confederate Veteran

Thomas Samuel Pointer, Co. I, enlisted 08/15/61, Enlisted, civilian clothing ca. 1864


Stone's River after battle report:

Report of Col. William B. Wood, Sixteenth Alabama Infantry,
including skirmish at Triune, December 27.

- -, 1863.

CAPT.: In pursuance of the order to report the movements and
operations of this regiment in the battles at Triune and
Murfreesborough, on the 27th and 31st ultimo, I beg to submit the

On the 26th ultimo we were ordered to the front of Triune, to support
Gen. Wharton and repel the advance of the enemy, who was reported
to be moving in that direction with a large force. We remained under
arms until late in the evening, when we were ordered to return and
strike our camps, send the wagons to the rear, and take position on the
hill near the Franklin pike.

At 4 o'clock on the 27th we were under arms and moved forward to
take position on the hills in front of Triune. We remained in that
position, deployed as skirmishers, until 9 o'clock, when we were ordered
back to our position in rear of the town. My regiment was deployed as
skirmishers just behind brow of the hill and awaited the approach of the
enemy. Capt. Darden occupied the hill with his battery. The enemy
an attempt to turn our left flank with cavalry, which was repulsed by the
artillery and my skirmishers on the left, the enemy fleeing in confusion.
About 1 o'clock a heavy rain commenced and continued for nearly an
hour. As soon as it ceased, and we were able to see a few hundred
yards to the front, we discovered the enemy advanced nearly up to our
lines. We immediately opened fire upon him and held him in check until
the artillery was drawn off, when we were ordered to fall back. As we
were retreating, I discovered the enemy moving up on our right flank,
but we were enabled to gain the turn in the road before they could cut
us off. A piece of artillery opened on them from this point and checked
their advance. Our lines was then formed on the pike and brought off
without loss. Our casualties were 2 men slightly wounded.

We reached Murfreesborough Sunday night, and Monday morning were
ordered to take position in the line of battle on the right wing near the
Lebanon pike. We remained in this position until Tuesday night, when
we were ordered across the river and bivouacked for the night on the
river bank in an open field.

At daylight on the morning of the 31st, we were in line of battle and
moved forward across the field. Before we had advanced 100 yards the
enemy opened upon us with shells. Our line was pushed forward across
the fields to the woods, where we discovered the enemy in a dense
cedar glade, lying down behind the rocks. We commenced firing as
soon as the skirmishers fell back, and continued firing for nearly half an
hour, neither party yielding any ground. The general gave the order to
"charge," and the men, with a yell, made a charge in gallant style,
dislodging the enemy form their strong position and killing scores of
them as they fled. We continued to push on for more than half a mile,
when we came upon another line of the enemy. Again a fierce and
stubborn resistance was made. Again the general ordered a charge,
which was made with like results, the enemy being driven for more than
half a mile until they fell behind a battery planted near a large frame
house used as a hospital. Our line was reformed, and, with Gen.
Polk's brigade, moved up to charge the battery. As we approached, a
few rounds were fired, and the battery was drawn off. We pursued as
rapidly a possible, driving the enemy through the woods, across a
corn-field, and beyond the Nolensville pike. As we approached the field
another battery to our right opened upon us. We charged across this
open field more than a quarter of mile to capture the battery. About the
time we reached another house used as a hospital, another battery
(planted on the pike) opened a cross-fire upon us, and at the same time
a heavy infantry force, supporting the battery, opened its fire. Our
ammunition here gave out, and we were compelled to fall back to the
woods to obtain a supply. It was now about 11 o'clock. Our line was
again formed and moved forward across the pike and into the woods,
where we again encountered the enemy and opened fire upon him. We
continued to move forward
and charge them whenever they made a stand, until they were driven
nearly 2 miles. The fighting in the afternoon continued for about three
hours. Our ammunition being again exhausted, we fell back out of the
reach of the enemy's guns and obtained da fresh supply. The fighting
now ceased on the left wing, and night soon coming on we bivouacked
on the field.

The morning of [January] 1 we moved to our position and remained in
it until the afternoon, when we were moved forward to make a
reconnaissance of the position of the enemy. Being found in large force
and our position very much exposed to the enemy's artillery, we were
ordered back to our original position.

We were again in line of battle on the morning of the 2d, and remained
so all day without any engagement with the enemy. That night we were
ordered to recross the river and occupy our formed position on the right
wing, which we did, and remained there until 11 o'clock that night,
when ordered on the retreat.

I lost in the battle of the 31st ultimo 24 killed, of whom 4 were
lieutenants, and 142 wounded, among whom were Lieut.-Col.
Helvenston, Maj. [J. H.] McGaughy, and Adjutant [B. A.] Wilson, and
6 lieutenants. A list* of the killed and wounded is herewith forwarded.

My regiment encountered the One hundred and first Ohio Regiment,
commanded by Col. [Leander] Stem, at the beginning of the fight.
We wounded and captured the colonel and killed the
lieutenant-colonel. We next fought the Twenty-fifth [Thirty-eighth] and
Twenty-first Illinois, and Eighty-first Indiana, and Fifteenth Wisconsin
Regiments, killing and wounding a number of the officers and men.

I feel proud in being able to report that most of my officers and men
behaved with signal courage and unflinching bravery during the whole
action. There were some instances of peculiar gallantry displayed which
came under my notice, and no doubt others equally creditable occurred
which I may not have observed. I mention Adjt. B. A. Wilson, who, after
Lieut.-Col. Helvenston and Maj. McGuarghy were wounded,
rendered efficient services in leading the left wing of the regiment in
the charges which were made, until he fell, severely wounded.
Serg. Maj. Robert [H.] Cherry, finding Company I without an officer
during the action, assumed command, and gallantly led them through the
fight. Private Harvey G. Sergeant, of Company H, is reported as having
behaved very gallantly; he lost an arm, and deserves promotion.
Privates William Boyce and James Peeden, of Company C;
Color-Sergt.[William] Drury Bowen, of Company H;
Serg. H. W. Rutland, of Company A; Private Peter White, of Company
F, and Private Robert Williams, of Company B, acted with courage and
bravery. Private H. D. Smith, of Company A, received a wound in one
leg, but contained on the field, fighting, until he was wounded in the
other leg. He is a young man deserving consideration.

Among the officers who displayed signal gallantry I noticed Capt.
[William] Hodges, of Company F; Lieut. [C.] Davis, of Company
B; Lieut. [G. W. W.] Jones, of Company G; Lieut. [G.] Pride,
of Company A, and Lieut. [C. F.] Carson, of Company C, who
remained on the field after was wounded; Lieut. [T. J.] Salter, of
Company D, who was wounded and left the field, had his wound
dressed, returned again to his duties, and remained until compelled by
suffering to leave. Lieut.'s [D. W.] Alexander and [D. C.] Warren,
of Company F,
were with their command from the beginning to the end of the battle.
Lieut.'s [William S.] Humphries and [J. N.] Watson, of Company K,
were also with their command throughout the whole engagement. The
gallant dead and wounded fully discharged their duties until they fell.

I mention with pleasure the efficient services of Capt. T. A. Kimball,
chaplain of the regiment, who took charge of the infirmary corps, and
followed close behind the regiment, removing the wounded as soon as
they fell, himself dressing many of the wounds.

Surg. F. S. McMahon and Assistant Surgeon [William M.] Mayes were
at their posts, discharging their duties faithfully, promptly, and

Respectfully submitted.

Col., Cmdg. Sixteenth Alabama Regt.

[Capt.] O. S. PALMER,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

* Casualty list not reproduced

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 20. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 29.]

Messages In This Thread

Pictures of the 15th Ala Inf
Re: Pictures of the 15th Ala Inf
Re: Pictures of the 15th Ala Inf
Re: Pictures of the 15th Ala Inf
Re: Pictures of the 16th Ala Regt
Re: Pictures of the 16th Ala Regt