THE FIFTY-FIRST ALABAMA CAVALRY
The Fifty-first Alabama cavalry regiment, known as Partisan
Rangers, was recruited by Col. John T. Morgan, who had entered
the war as a major of infantry, served for a time in Virginia,
and returned home to raise a mounted regiment.
It was sent to Alabama, served for a time in Tennessee, fought
at Lavergne with General Forrest; was then attached to
Wheeler's cavalry, and was brigaded under Morgan, Hagan and
It took part in the Sequatchie raid, and was part of the force
which captured 400 Federals at Maysville, and took part in the
investment of Knoxville. It took a gallant part in the
Stone's River and Chickamauga campaigns; was on Johnston's
flank during the retreat to Dalton, fighting almost daily for
three months, and lost heavily at Decatur and Jonesboro.
It moved through Tennessee, and harassed General Sherman's
forces very effectually in the Carolinas.
About a week before the close of hostilities, it fought and
captured a portion of the First Alabama United States regiment
and finally surrendered at Raleigh, N. C.
Col. John T. Morgan was commissioned brigadier in November,
1863, and was for some time in command of a division and
served with Generals Hood, Longstreet and Johnston. After the
close of hostilities he returned to the profession of law, and
in 1877 was sent to the United States Senate, of which body he
has long been one of the most able and distinguished members.
He was succeeded in command of the regiment by the gallant
Lieut.-Col. J. D. Webb, who was mortally wounded near Decherd,
Tenn., in July, 1863. Captain Battle was in command for a
short time, and Capt. M. L. Kirkpatrick, who took command
during the Chickamauga campaign, continued to lead the
regiment until the close of the war.
Source: Confederate Military History, vol. VIII, p. 280