Pvt. Suval D. Crawford enlisted Feb. 26, 1862, at Crawford, Alabama, in Capt. Waddell's Battery, Alabama Light Artillery. This unit subsequently became Co. A, 20th Battalion, Alabama Light Artillery. He was captured and paroled at Vicksburg and served at least through the end of 1864. There are no records beyond that date.
20th Alabama Artillery Battalion
Waddell's Alabama Artillery Battery was organized in February 1862 by an order allowing up to 20 men to be taken from each company of the 6th Alabama Regiment. Equipped with eight guns, the battery was in the Kentucky Campaign. Sent to Mississippi with Gen'l Carter L. Stevenson's Division, the battery was badly cut up and lost nearly all its guns at Baker's Creek. It lost more men during the Siege of Vicksburg and was there captured when the fortress fell, 4 July 1863. It was paroled later and declared exchanged on 12 September 1863. The battery was increased to a battalion and designated as the 20th Light Artillery in October 1863. Company "A" was organized at Columbus, Georgia in November 1863 and ordered to Dalton. There it became a part of the Army of Tennessee for the campaigns of 1864. At Girard, while confronting Wilson, the guns and two-thirds of the men were captured. Company "B" was also organized at Columbus in November 1863 and sent to Dalton. It participated in the Atlanta Campaigns armed with two 6-lb. and two 12-lb Blakeleys. Its losses were not severe. Ordered to Columbus, the battery fought Union Gen'l James Wilson at Girard where the men were dispersed and the guns abandoned.
[There was also a Company "C", the Arkansas Helena Artillery, organized at Helena, Arkansas in May 1861 and transferred east of the Mississippi River. After the Battle of Shiloh and the Kentucky Campaign, it was placed in the Army of Tennessee, participating from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, from Tennessee and North Carolina. Its commanders were Capts. J. H. Calvery; A. W. Clarkson; and Thomas J. Key.]
Officers: Major James Fleming Waddell (Russell); Capts. Winslow D. Emery (Montgomery; commanding Co. "A"); and Richard H. Bellamy (Russell; commanding Co. "B")
Armaments: consisted of four 10-lb. Parrott guns (as of 29 March 1864).