Of corse not nor the Cpital Guards:
Two monuments were erected in or near modern day MacArthur Park honoring its students:
FIRST: To memory of "Capitol Guards" during May 1911 16th Reunion of United States Confederate Veterans, fifty years following "Capitol Guards" (some being St Johns' students), organized on the old United States Arsenal (1838-1890) grounds (pre-1837, the Jockey Club & race track). This statute represents a Confederate soldier standing at guard, placed on a tall white granite pedestal with words, to wit:
"LEST WE FORGET"
During unveiling ceremonies, afore
mentioned Fay HEMPSTEAD, poet laureate of Freemasonry, read poem entitled "At Camp Shaver," in which high tribute was paid to the "Capital Guards". Also included was Miss Mary FLETCHER (Mrs Leonard H. DRENNAN) (1890AR-1982MD), daughter of Colonel John Gould FLETCHER (1831AR-1906AR), (3 June 1861 Captain, Age 30, Capital Guards. Elected May 8,1862; Severely wounded in thigh at Murfreesboro, Tennessee 31 December 1862; 6th Arkansas Infantry, Company A, and Mayor 1875-1881), standing at the east side of the monument, holding a blue ribbon, while Miss Helen Frances PEAY, granddaughter of Gordon Neil PEAY (1819KY-1876AR), first captain of the Guards (Mayor 1859-1860), stood on the south side holding a white ribbon. At a signal, Misses FLETCHER and PEAY pulled the ribbons while the band played "Dixie" and the old veterans assembled shouted at the tops of their voices. The screen fell away, with a shower of roses, the tall granite shaft stood revealed.
SECOND: To memory of former student David Owen DODD, "Boy Martyr of the Confederacy" <http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/shelby/newspapers/davidodo4nw.txt>, thought to have worked in Masonic member Alderman James A HENRY's, mercantile store, --- in 1926 by 1890 created United Daughters of the Confederacy, a large piece of granite with a commemorative plaque attached, <http://www.arkansasties.com/Pulaski/Str uctures5/DavidODodd.htm>, to wit:
"In Memory of
David O. Dodd
The boy hero of the Confederacy
This marks the place of his execution January 8, 1864 Erected by the memorial chapter U.D.C.1926"
Originally located one block east of former United States Arsenal building (wherein General Douglas MacARTHUR (1880AR-1964NY) was born <http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/warriors/macpark.html>), marking site on St. Johns' college former property of DODD's execution as a spy, by hanging, January 8, 1864 at three o'clock in afternoon, coldest day of the year with ice covering river and snow under foot, before a crowd estimated 5,000 to 6,000. Hanging ordered by Major General Frederick STEELE (1819NY-1868CA), United States Army. DODD's body removed to Dick JOHNSON's Rock street home, following day interned in Mount Holly cemetery in plot donated by Barney NIGHTON where in 1913, an eight-foot tall spire was placed. Interstate Highway 30's access road now covering hanging site with 1926 monument currently (May 2007) found at the University of Arkansas, Little Rock, Law School's parking lot. Many other memorials exist to DODD.