ARKANSAS’S CIVIL WAR HISTORY IS THE SUBJECT OF A NEW BOOK
The Old State House Museum’s newest publication, “The Earth Reeled and Trees Trembled”: Civil War Arkansas, 1863-1864, is now available. Edited by Mark K. Christ, this is a compelling portrayal of Arkansas’s involvement in this conflict as conveyed through lectures given at the Old State House Museum’s Civil War symposia held in 2003 and 2004. The book is published by the Old State House Museum.
Essays in the book include:
• Michael Dougan, Say "Au Revoir" but not "Good-Bye”: The Enduring Confederate Government of Arkansas
• Mark K. Christ, “As Much As Humanity Can Stand”: The Little Rock Campaign of 1863
• Douglas E. Larson, Alfred Gales and the Third Minnesota in Arkansas
• Cynthia DeHaven Pitcock, Gunpowder, Lard and Kerosene: Civil War Medicine in the Trans-Mississippi
• Bobby Roberts, Rivers of No Return
• Gary Dillard Joiner, Fred Steele's Dilemma and Kirby Smith's Quest for Glory
• Billy Gurley, The Civil War Journal of Dr. Henry Dye: Texas Surgeon in the District of Arkansas
• Tom Wing, A Sink of Iniquity and Corruption: The Civil War in Fort Smith and Indian Territory
• Mark K. Christ, “The Queen City Was a Helpless Wreck”: J.O. Shelby’s Summer of ’64
• Daniel Sutherland, Guerrilla Conflict in 1864: Day of the Outlaw
“The Earth Reeled and Trees Trembled”: Civil War Arkansas, 1863-1864 is available through the Old State House Museum Store for a cost of $24.95.
The Old State House Museum Store is located inside the museum at 300 West Markham Street in Little Rock. Store hours are Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. The store is solely owned and operated by the state of Arkansas; all sales and proceeds go towards the fulfillment of the museum’s mission of historic preservation. The book can also be purchased online at www.arkansasheritage.com/oldstatehouse/museum_store/. For more information call (501) 324-8653.
About the Old State House Museum
The Old State House Museum hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Guided tours are available seven days a week; please call in advance for group tour reservations at 501.324.9865.
The Old State House Museum is a museum of the Department of Arkansas Heritage and shares the goal of all seven Department of Arkansas Heritage agencies, that of preserving and enhancing the heritage of the state of Arkansas. The agencies are Arkansas Arts Council, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, Delta Cultural Center in Helena, Historic Arkansas Museum, Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, and the Old State House Museum.
-- 30 --