William Fitzhugh, age 44, Captain, Capt. Wm. Fitzhugh's Company, 16th Regiment Texas Cavalry*, enrolled February 17, 1862 at McKinnney, elected Colonel March 10, 1862
* This company subsequently became Company H, 16th Regiment Texas Cavalry. The 16th Regiment Texas Cavalry was organized March 10, 1862, and re-organized April 16, 1862. The regiment was dismounted April 24, 1862. It was also known as Fitzhugh's Regiment Texas Cavalry and as the 3rd Regiment Johnson's Brigade Texas Mounted Riflemen.
M323: Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas
16th Texas Cavalry Rgt.
Cols. William Fitzhugh, Edward P. Gregg, LtCol. William W. Diamond
The regiment was formed in the spring of 1862, about 1000 officers and
men, and included men from Gainesville, Brenham, Farmersville and
McKinney. It was later dismounted. It was assigned to Flournoy's,
Waterhouse's, Scurry's brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department. In June
1863 it lost 19 killed, 47 wounded and one missing at Milliken's Bend.
It fought at Jenkins' Ferry. In March 1865 it moved to Hempstead, Texas
and disbanded in May.
FITZHUGH, WILLIAM F. (1818–1883). William F. Fitzhugh, soldier, Texas Ranger, and farmer, the son of John and Sarah (Shelton) Fitzhugh, was born in Kentucky in 1818. As a child he moved with his parents to Missouri, and at the age of seventeen he volunteered for service in the Seminole War in Florida. After returning to Missouri he participated in the campaign to expel the Mormons from that state. In 1845 he moved to Texas with his parents and settled just south of the site of present Melissa. He married Mary Rattan and received a 640-acre headright. During the Mexican War he served in the First Regiment, Texas Mounted Volunteers, commanded by Col. John Coffee (Jack) Hays. Fitzhugh returned to Collin County after the war and divided his time between farming and serving with the Texas Rangers on the Indian frontier. In March 1862 he entered Confederate service as first colonel of the Sixteenth Texas Cavalry, a regiment that served in the Trans-Mississippi Department. After the war Fitzhugh resumed farming at Melissa. He served as doorkeeper for the Constitutional Convention of 1875 and as Senate doorkeeper for the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth legislatures. On October 23, 1883, he was killed when he was thrown from a wagon. He was first buried in Forest Grove Cemetery near McKinney but was subsequently reinterred in Fairview Cemetery in Denison. He was survived by seven children.
J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958)