Arkansas Gazette ,August 29, 1861
Brigadier General William J. Hardee was commissioned by the Confederate government to take charge in Arkansas and arrange for the transfer of troops in the service of the state to the Confederacy. General Hardee, after conferring with the governor and the Military Board at Little Rock, went to Pocahontas, where he established his headquarters. On October 7th, following, he was promoted to the rank of major general, by which time, he had all but completed the work of transferring the Arkansas troops and organizing an army, which was composed of the following regiments: Colonel Thomas C. Hindman's regiment, called the Second Arkansas Confederate; Colonel Evander McNair's regiment, called the Fourth (the Third regiment, Colonel Albert Rust's was already in the service of the Confederacy in the Army of Virginia); Colonel David C. Cross' regiment, called the Fifth; Colonel Richard Lyon's regiment, called the Sixth; Colonel Robert G. Shaver's regiment, called the Seventh; Colonel William K. Patterson's regiment, called the Eighth; Colonel John M. Bradley's regiment called the Ninth; Colonel T.D. Merrick's regiment, called the Tenth; Colonel Jabez M. Smith's regiment called the Eleventh; Colonel E.W. Gantt's regiment, called the Twelfth; Colonel James C. Tappan's regiment, called the Thirteenth; Colonel M.C. Mitchell's regiment, called the Fourteenth; Colonel Patrick R. Cleburne's regiment, called the Fifteenth; Lieutenant-Colonel Samuel J. Mason's battalion, called the Ninth; Colonel Francis A. Shoup's battalion of artillery; Captain John T. Trigg's battery; Captain J.H. Calvert's battery, and Captain George T. Hubbard's battery. (Most of the regiments were later organized into the "Third Army Corps," and were commanded by General Hardee, as part of the "Army of the Mississippi," of which General Albert Sidney Johnston was commander-in-chief.