SIXTH TEXAS INFANTRY. Col. Robert R. Garland mustered the Sixth Texas Infantry at Camp Henry E. McCulloch near Victoria, Texas, on November 14, 1861, and was confirmed as colonel on December 12, 1861. Garland asked the ladies of Victoria to make a flag for his regiment. Elizabeth McAnulty Owens, wife of Richard Owens, and her daughters sewed the original flag from fabric from her husband's mercantile store. . . .
. . . . The flag of the Sixth Texas Infantry was taken at Williamsport where it remained in possession of the Lycoming County Historical Society and Museum in Williamsport [PA} until 1991, when the museum decided to return the flag to Texas and chose the Texas Heritage Museum at Hill College in Hillsboro Texas as the recipient. . . .