On 11 July 1864 Samuel Cooper's Office issued Special Orders # 157, Section XI of which assigned the Phillips Legion Cavalry to Martin W. Gary's Brigade, which was assigned to duty north of the James. This is in O. R., Vol. 40, part 1, pp. 764-765.
Apparently the transfer was never carried out, and the Phillips Legion remained in Butler's Cavalry Division with the main cavalry force of the Army of Northern Virginia.
Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation of the transfer, and where the order cnacelling the transfer is located?
Later that year, in November, the remannt of the Seventh Georgia Cavalry was assigned to the Legion, but the main force of the 7th GA CAV had been sent to Georgia to remount, and were retained there for the defense of Savannah. The force of the 7th GA CAV with Gary was not more than a couple of hundred men, at the very most. Less than 50 were paroled at Appomattox.