The Indian Territory in the Civil War Message Board

Re: Ordnance Officers in I.T.; 1864-1865

From Rootweb's world connect project.

•ID: I04558
•Name: Gabriel Holmes Hill
•Sex: M
•Birth: 7 JAN 1837 in Wilmington, New Hanover Cnty, North Carolina
•Death: 15 JUL 1904
•Event: Christened 7 MAY 1837 St. James, Wilmington, New Hanover Cnty, North Carolina
•Reference Number: 4558
St. James Church Historical Records Vol. I page 94, christening

Master Inheritance Index for Minnie Bolles Brown, granddaughter of Gabriel Holmes. File at Superior Court, New Hanover County, NC - 2 October 1954. sheet 4

Inheritance Chart of the heirs of Minnie Bolles Brown daughter of Col. John Adams Brown and wife Mildred Holmes Brown - sheet 4

Staff officers in gray [electronic resource-netLibraey] : a biographical register of the staff officers in the Army of Northern Virginia / Robert E.L. Krick.
Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2003. xiv, 406 p. 24 cm.

1880; Census Place: Front Royal, Warren, Virginia; Roll: T9_1393; Family History Film: 1255393; Page: 342.1000; Enumeration District: 90; .Dwelling 38 Family 48

GenForum : Re: Hill/Moore/Ashe etc in NC
Posted by: Virginia Wardrum (ID *****7883)
Here's the notes I have -
A Brief Record of Colonel G.H. Hill's Military Service in the U.S.A. & C.S.A.
Gabriel Holmes Hill, Born in New Hanover county January 14th 1837. Was appointed a Master's Mate in the U.S. Navy and assigned to duty on the U.S. Coast Survey and ordered to report to Captain John F. Moffit in October 1853; and served in duty along the coast if Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina until February 1857, when appointed a Second Lieutenant in the 3rd Artillary of U.S. Army and ordered to report to Major Bucus, Commandant Governor's Island, New York.
In October I was ordered to report to Major John B. Scott to assist him in taking 300 recruits to the Pacific via Aspinwall and Panama. On arriving at San Francisco the recruits were placed under my command and ordered to report to Major Thompson Morris, Fort Vancouver, Washington Territory. After turning over the recruits to him, was ordered to report to my Company Commander, Major F. O. Wise, Company D, 3rd Artillary, then stationed at Cascades, Washington Territory.
Early in the spring (I think in the month of April), with Major Wise and his company, we were ordered to San Diago, Mission, near the town of San Diago, in the southern part of California. The latter part of June of that year, I was ordered with 20 mounted men to escort Major Rengald to Fort Unia on the Colorado River.
After paying off the troops at that post, I returned to the Mission of San Diago and found my company all ready to embark upon a steamer, it having been ordered to report to Col. Wright, 9th Infantry at Fort Dalles, Oregon. After arriving there we marched to Fort Walla Walla and joined the expedition against the Spokane Indians. We returned to Fort Walla Walla in November and my company was ordered to Fort Vancouver, where I remained until September 1859, when I was transferred to Company E, 3rd Artillary, Sherman's light battery at Fort Ridgeley. Minnesota, where I remained until I resigned in the spring of 1861, reaching my home in Wilmington, N. C., the last day of May.
After reaching home I offered my services to the State of North Carolina and was commissioned as Captain of the Artillary in the North Carolina State Troops. I also reported to the secretary of War of the Confederate States and received a commission as 1st Lieutenant of Artillary, C. S. Army.
I was ordered to Newborn to superintend the mounting of some guns below the town. After that work, was made a captain of Artillary in the Confederate States Provisional Army an ordered to report to General T. H. Holmes at Fredericksburg, Va. I was assigned to duty as Chief of Artillary under his command and served on his staff as such during the entire summer of 61. I was at the first battle of Manasas and remained with him until November, when I was promoted to a Major of Artillary C.S.P.A.
On the 1st of December I was ordered to report to Col. Snow on Roanoke Island as Commander of the Batteries on the island and was captured by General Berkside when the island was surrendered. I was kept a prisoner for two months, when we were released on parole.
That summer I was at home until October when I was exchanged and made Lieutenant Colonel of Artillary C.S.P.A. and ordered to report to the commandant of the Trans-Mississippi Department as Chief of the Artillary of the Department and served as such until September 63, when I was ordered to remove the machinery from the Little Rock Arsenal, Ark., to Tyler, Texas and there to establish an Arsenal. This was done and we were constantly at work repairing arms, Manufacturing Enfield rifles, calvary saddles, waist belts, canteens and melting up 100, 000 rounds of small arm cartridges, fixed ammunition for artillary etc. Here I remained until the close of the war.
(Misspellings are duplicated as in original, typed copy.)
Note in longhand (Olive Hutchins?) at top says: "Mrs. I.R. Peyton
Father of Mrs. G.S. Hutchins, Gabe Hill, " W.T. Goodlow & J.M. Hill"

Messages In This Thread

Ordnance Officers in I.T.; 1864-1865
Re: Ordnance Officers in I.T.; 1864-1865
Re: Ordnance Officers in I.T.; 1864-1865
Chief of Commissary, Bonham TX; 1863; Bankhaead's
Re: Chief of Commissary, Bonham TX; 1863; Bankhaea
Arizona Brigade; then last 18 months of the War