In regard to some Confederate activity in Schuyler County:
According to a bio on John I Scobee Jr:
“(He) joined for duty and enrolled in the Union Army at Shibleys Point, MO. He was mustered in on the 5th of February, 1862 at Macon City, MO, the organization being Capt. York's Mounted Rifle Co., Mo. State Militia. This organization subsequently became Co. B. 11th. Reg. Mo. State Militia Cavalry. He was appointed 1st. Lieut. 18 of Jan., day of enrollment, by Willard P. Hall, acting Gov. of the State of Mo. on the basis of integrity, patriotism and ability. He was 53 years old. About 1st of July, 1862, his company, under the command of Major (afterward Col.) Rogers, engaged in the Skirmish at Downing. This place is located on the Keokuk and Western Railway in Schuyler Co., and near the Eastern line thereof. It was called "Cherry Grove", and the fight was known as "The skirmish at "Cherry Grove". The engagement took place between the 2nd. Bn. of the 11th Mo. State Militia (Cavalry) and a portion of Col. Joe Porter's Confederate troops. In this engagement, the latter was defeated with a loss of 4 men killed. The Federals lost one man--Capt. York of Co. B. 11th. Mo. State Militia, who was mortally wounded and died a few days thereafter at Memphis, in Scotland Co., MO. It was on that day that Lieut. John Scobee suffered a gunshot wound in his left wrist and his horse reportedly had his ears shot off.”
It appears as if Captain’s Leeper and Dunn were signing up Confederate recruits in Schuyler County between July 25th and August 3rd, 1862.
In regard to Tippecanoe (info from the WEB):
“The first county seat of Schuyler County was Tippecanoe, a site about three miles southeast of Lancaster. But in June 1845 commissioners chose Lancaster as the permanent seat and authorized construction of a temporary courthouse.”
“The old town or village of Tippecanoe (the first one in the county), located in the southeast part of Section 30, Township 66 North, Range 14 West, was as near the center of the county as it is now constituted. John M. Fisk and other property owners in the vicinity of Tippecanoe made a strenuous effort to secure the location of the county seat at that place; while James Lusk, who then represented the territory of Schuyler County in the Legislature, and others opposed to the location of the county seat Tippecanoe, secured the passage of a law which required the county seat to be within one mile of the geographical center of the county; and inasmuch as the nine mile strip of disputed territory heretofore explained was then claimed to belong to the county (and which was actually required to make Schuyler a constitutional county), Tippecanoe was not located near enough to the geographical center thereof to entitle it to become the county seat, and in this way Fisk and his friends were defeated in their aspiration. Two of the commissioners appointed to select the site for the location of the county seat ... met at the house of John Jones, in Tippecanoe, and regarding the line north of the disputed strip as the true State Line, they found the site of the present town of Lancaster to be within one mile of the geographical center of the county, and selected it as the place on which to establish the county seat.
The county court at its special term June 2, 1845, made the following entry on its record: "Ordered by the court that the commissioners for that purpose for the County of Schuyler, shall be known and called by the name of Lancaster." The name was selected by James Lusk.”
“The first town in Schuyler County was Tippecanoe, which was established before the county was organized. John Fish and Edwin French opened a store in 1840 and ran it until 1846. The business continued under other management until 1852. Tippecanoe was a thriving community in the 1840's with several businesses, including John Jones, wool carding mill, Samuel Tipton and William Schofield, blacksmith shop, Lesley and Waldrop, a mill, Dixon and Ralls, a wheat fanning establishment, two groceries and two lawyers. Prior to 1854 the town was a strong rival to Lancaster, but slipped into a decline and completely disappeared after the Civil War. Older folk remember a graveyard at Tippecanoe, which once had an iron fence around it. The fence disappeared, possibly victim to a scrap drive for WW1, and no traces of it or the town remain. Tipp school remained for many years.”