7th Cavalry Regiment
(Claiborne's Partisan Rangers)
7th Cavalry Regiment was formed in October, 1862, by consolidating the 4th North Carolina Battalion Partisan Rangers and seven independent Georgia cavalry companies. It served in the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia, then in J. Dearing's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. The regiment saw action at Rodman's Point, Reed's Ferry, Quaker Bridge, New Bern, and Swift Creek, then fought on the Bermuda Hundred front. On July 11, 1864, it was ordered to disband. Part transferred to the 10th Georgia Cavalry and part to the 16th Battalion North Carolina Cavalry. Its commanders were Colonels William C. Claiborne and V. H. Taliaferro, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas D. Claiborne, and Major Jesse H. Sikes.