* 1588 Lithuania abolishes slavery
* 1600 Last villein dies in England
* 1723 Russia abolishes slavery.
* 1761, February 12, Portugal abolishes slavery in mainland Portugal and in Portuguese possessions in India through a decree by the Marquis of Pombal.
* 1772 Slavery declared illegal in England, including overseas slaves living in England. Lord Chief Justice Mansfield rules that English law does not support slavery.
* 1777 Slavery abolished in Madeira, Portugal
* 1777 Slavery abolished in Vermont, USA
* 1783 Russia abolishes slavery in Crimean Khanate
* 1783 Massachusetts rules slavery illegal based on 1780 constitution
* 1783 Bukovina: Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor issued an order abolishing slavery on 19 June 1783 in Czernowitz.
* 1787 Sierra Leone founded by British as state for emancipated slaves
* 1787 Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade founded in Britain
* 1788 Sir William Dolben's Act regulating the conditions on British slave ships enacted
* 1792 Denmark-Norway declared transatlantic slave trade illegal after 1802 (though slavery continues to 1848).
* 1793 Upper Canada, by Act Against Slavery
* 1794 French First Republic abolishes slavery
* 1799 New York State introduces gradual emancipation
* 1799 in Scotland, by an act of the Parliament of Great Britain (39 Geo.III. c. 56).
* 1802 The emperor Napoleon re-introduce slavery on French colonies growing sugarcane. 
* 1803 Denmark-Norway abolishes transatlantic slave trade on 1 January 1803
* 1803 Lower Canada abolishes slavery
* 1804 Haiti declares independence and abolishes slavery
* 1807 Abolition of the Slave Trade Act: slave trading abolished in British Empire. Captains fined £100 per slave transported.
* 1807 British begin patrols of African coast to arrest slaving vessels. West Africa Squadron (Royal Navy) established to suppress slave trading; by 1865, nearly 150,000 people freed by anti-slavery operations
* 1807 Abolition in Prussia, Germany The Stein-Hardenberg Reforms.
* 1808 United States—importation of slaves into the US prohibited after Jan. 1.
* 1811 Slave trading made a felony in the British Empire punishable by transportation for British subjects and Foreigners.
* 1811 Spain abolishes slavery at home and in all colonies except Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Santo Domingo
* 1813 Argentina abolishes slavery
* 1814 Dutch outlaw slave trade
* 1815 British pay Portuguese £750,000 (several hundred million dollars in current values) to cease their trade
* 1815 Congress of Vienna. 8 Victorious powers declared their opposition to slavery
* 1816 Serfdom abolished in Estonia.
* 1817 Serfdom abolished in Courland.
* 1817 Spain paid £400,000 by British to cease trade to Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Santo Domingo
* 1818 Treaty between Britain and Spain to abolish slave trade 
* 1818 Treaty between Britain and Portugal to abolish slave trade 
* 1818 France and Holland abolish slave trading
* 1819 Treaty between Britain and Netherlands to abolish slave trade 
* 1819 Serfdom abolished in Livonia.
* 1821 Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela abolish slavery
* 1821 Liberia founded by USA as state for emancipated slaves.
* 1822 Greece abolishes slavery.
* 1823 Chile abolishes slavery
* 1824 The Federal Republic of Central America abolishes slavery.
* 1827 Treaty between Britain and Sweden to abolish slave trade 
* 1829 Mexico abolishes slavery
* 1831 Bolivia abolishes slavery
* 1834 The Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes into force, abolishing slavery throughout most of the British Empire. The exceptions being territories controlled by the Honourable East India Company and the islands of Ceylon and St Helena.
* 1834 Jamaica abolishes slavery
* 1835 Treaty between Britain and France to abolish slave trade 
* 1835 Treaty between Britain and France and Denmark to abolish slave trade 
* 1836 Portugal abolishes transatlantic slave trade
* 1839 British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society founded, now called Anti-Slavery International
* 1839 Indian indenture system made illegal
* 1840 Treaty between Britain and Venezuela to abolish slave trade 
* 1841 Quintuple Treaty is signed; Britain, France, Russia, Prussia, and Austria agree to suppress slave trade
* 1842 Uruguay abolishes slavery
* 1843 Honourable East India Company becomes increasingly controlled by Britain and abolishes slavery in India by the Indian Slavery Act V. of 1843.
* 1843 Treaty between Britain and Uruguay to suppress slave trade 
* 1843 Treaty between Britain and Mexico to suppress slave trade 
* 1843 Treaty between Britain and Chile to suppress slave trade 
* 1843 Treaty between Britain and Bolivia to abolish slave trade 
* 1845 36 British Navy ships are assigned to the Anti-Slavery Squadron, making it one of the largest fleets in the world.
* 1846 Tunisia abolishes slavery
* 1847 Sweden abolishes slavery
* 1848 Denmark abolishes slavery
* 1848 Slavery abolished in all French and Danish colonies
* 1848 France founds Gabon for settlement of emancipated slaves.
* 1848 Treaty between Britain and Muscat to suppress slave trade 
* 1849 Treaty between Britain and Persian Gulf states to suppress slave trade 
* 1850 United States: Fugitive Slave Law of 1850
* 1854 Peru abolishes slavery
* 1854 Venezuela abolishes slavery
* 1855 Moldavia abolishes slavery.
* 1856 Wallachia abolishes slavery.
* 1860 Indenture system abolished in British occupied India.
* 1861 Russia frees its serfs in the Emancipation reform of 1861.
* 1862 Treaty between United States and Britain for the suppression of the slave trade (African Slave Trade Treaty Act).
* 1862 Cuba abolishes slave trade
* 1863 Slavery abolished in Dutch colonies
* 1863 United States: Emancipation Proclamation declares those slaves in Confederate-controlled areas to be freed. Does not include slaves in "border states" and Washington, D.C..
* 1865 United States abolishes slavery with the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
* 1869 Portugal abolishes slavery in the African colonies
* 1871 Brazil declares free the sons and daughters born to slave mothers after 28 September 1871.
* 1873 Puerto Rico abolishes slavery
* 1873 Treaty between Britain and Zanzibar and Madagascar to suppress slave trade 
* 1874 Britain abolishes slavery in Ghana (the Gold Coast) (after Third Anglo-Asante War and British annexation of the Gold Coast in 1874).
* 1881 - 1899 - Mahdist War fought partly to suppress slavery in the Sudan.
* 1886 Cuba abolishes slavery
* 1888 Brazil abolishes slavery
* 1890 Brussels Act - Treaty granting anti-slavery powers the right to stop and search ships for slaves
* 1894 Korea abolishes slavery
* 1896 France abolishes slavery in Madagascar
* 1897 Zanzibar abolishes slavery
* 1906 China formally abolishes slavery and the law became effective on January 31, 1910, when all adult slaves were converted into hired labourers and the young were freed upon reaching age 25.
* 1912 Siam (Thailand), formally abolishes all slavery. The act of selling a person into slavery was abolished in 1897 but slavery itself was not outlawed. 
* 1923 Afghanistan abolishes slavery
* 1924 Iraq abolishes slavery
* 1924 League of Nations Temporary Slavery Commission
* 1926 Slavery Convention. Bound all signatories to end slavery Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery (25 September 1926)
* 1926 Nepal abolishes slavery
* 1928 Iran abolishes slavery
* 1928 Domestic slavery practised by local African elites abolished in Sierra Leone (paradoxically established as a place for freed slaves). A study found practices of domestic slavery still widespread in rural areas in the 1970s.
* 1935 Italian General Emilio De Bono proclaims slavery to be abolished in the Ethiopian Empire
* 1936 Britain abolishes slavery in Northern Nigeria
* 1942 Ethiopian Empire abolishes slavery
* 1945 Nazi Germany and Militarist Japan, both with harsh systems of forced labor, defeated in World War II
* 1946 Fritz Sauckel, procurer of slave labor for Nazi Germany, convicted at the Nuremberg trials and executed as war criminal.
* 1948 UN Article 4 of the Declaration of Human Rights bans slavery globally
* 1952 Qatar abolishes slavery
* 1962 Saudi Arabia abolishes slavery
* 1962 Yemen abolishes slavery
* 1963 United Arab Emirates abolishes slavery
* 1969 Peru abolishes the encomiendas regime through a land reform ending slavery in the country.
* 1970 Oman abolishes slavery
* 1981 Mauritania abolishes slavery