The Confederate field departments were administrative units to established to deal with supply and manpower. Moving men east of the Mississippi River in 1862 did not eliminate the Trans-Mississippi Department. It existed through-out the war. In 1865 it reported 37,200 Infantry, 14,950 cavalry and 3,500 artillery troops. "Revolvers are quite plentiful; sabers not used. Magruder armed one regiment (Gordon's Arkansas cavalry) ...with lances, guns, and revolvers."
1865 Trans-Mississippi Department Districts:
Arkansas and West Louisiana
Center of Trans-Mississippi Department was Galveston, Texas in March of 1865.