4. He fought a defensive war, preferring not to invade and destroy large parts of the north.
5. He was highly respected and revered by his men and the men and women of the South - a legacy that continues to this day
6. He favored state's rights over federal encroachment into state Constitutional rights.
7. He was an accomplished, devoted military tactician (Gaines Mill, Second Manassas, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Cold Harbor, . . .)
8. He imprinted his beliefs, which live today, on Washington and Lee University
9. He avoided cruelty and wanton destruction in his military operations
10. He remains a role model for young people even now - 140+ years later.