According to Davis's report in O.R. Vol VIII, "I soon became satisfied, from the increasing and excessive fire of the enemy, that he was being rapidly re-enforced, and ordered the Eighteenth and Twenty-second Indiana to make a flank movement to the right and perpendicular to the enemy’s lines, and then move forward and attack him. This was accomplished with alacrity, but not, however, until the Second Brigade had begun to recede before the excessive fire of the enemy, who had now concentrated his forces to the number of several thousand, under McCulloch and McIntosh, with a large body of Indians, under Pike and Ross. The Second Brigade being thus overwhelmed, I ordered it to fall back in changed front to rear on its right, and the First Brigade to change front forward on its left, so as to attack the enemy in his rear, who was now exultingly following up his temporary success. The Eighteenth Indiana soon executed the movement as directed, and opened a well-directed fire upon the enemy’s rear, which had the effect of drawing his fire and disconcerting his pursuit, so as to enable the Second Brigade to reform their lines as directed."
These are some of the relevant facts:
* The action was in thick woods on the Federal right flank (east of the main Federal position).
* The Confederates were attacking to the south.
* Davis's Second Brigade was deployed in the woods facing north with the Thirty-seventh Illinois to the left and the Fifty-ninth Illinois to the right.
* Davis's First Brigade filed behind the Second Brigade lines (Eighteenth Indiana followed by the Twenty-second Indiana) to the east. It then filed to the north & faced to the west after gaining the Confederate left flank.
* Prior to getting into position to attack the Confederate left flank, the Second Brigade collapsed and retreated. The Thirty-seventh fell back to the southwest & the Fifty-ninth to the southwest and south.
1) Given the Second Brigade's initial deployment in line facing north, what would its alignment be given Davis's command "to fall back in changed front to rear on its right"?
2) Given the First Brigade's deployment in line facing west, perpendicular to the Second Brigade's initial position, what would it's alignment be given Davis's command "to change front forward on its left"?
Any and all help is deeply appreciated.