The Civil War News & Views Open Discussion Forum

To Stan


I believe you had volunteered some time ago to take a photo of my gg-granduncles, James Francis "Frank" Martin's marker at the National Cemetery in Marietta, GA. Well, on a recent business trip to Atlanta, I got a couple of hours to spare and drove to the cemetery. What a pretty place.

I got to visit Frank's grave under the shade of a large tree. It is marked "J. F. Martin, Ind." and the stone is number 8740. I "talked" with Frank and prayed for his soul over his grave. I have the feeling, I may be the only "blood" relative/descendant that has ever visited his grave.

Frank enlisted in August of '61 in the 22nd Indiana Infantry, Co. I. This was Jefferson C. Davis' old regiment. He and another of my uncles, Francis Marion (also Frank) McPike, apparently traveled from Heltonville, in Lawrence County, Indiana to Bloomington, Indiana to "jine up" with the regiment. Their first duty was in Central Missouri, trying to push or follow Sterling Price's Missourians back into Northwest Arkansas. They then were in very heavy fighting at "Morgan's Woods" at Pea Ridge. I had an uncle in the 4th Arkansas Infantry (CS). The 22nd Indiana and the 4th Arkansas were in close proximity to one another in Morgan's Woods. Next the 22nd Indiana went east to Kentucky and got into the record books by losing 100 men killed in a single battle at Perryville. Fortunately, my gg-grandfather, John W. McPike, uncles Frank McPike and Frank Martin, got through unscathed, at least physically. They then were in Post's brigade at Murfreesboro/Stones River on the far-right of the Union line. I'm sure the historians on the board know what happened to the Union right on the first day at Murfreesboro. The 22nd Indiana got a "break" at Chickamauga where they were assigned to guard the supply train of the Army of the Cumberland. In the assault at Missionary Ridge, they were in Francis Sherman's brigade and were right in the middle of the attack. My gg-grandfather, John McPike, got knocked out of the war and spent a year in the hospital attempting to recover from a hip-wound. He suffered with this wound the rest of his life.

Probably, because my "direct" ancestor's service ended at Missionary Ridge, I did not research thoroughly the service of my uncle Frank Martin. Recently, while scanning some pension records, I noticed a listing for James F. Martin in the 22nd Indiana Inf. This was a surprise to me, because our family genealogists all thought Frank died single. As it turns out, after the battle of Chattanooga most of the members of the regiment "re-upped" and the 22nd became a "veteran" regiment. As a result of their veteranizing and re-enlistment the members received a furlough of approximately one month and by train they returned to their homes in Indiana. While Frank was home on furlough he married a young woman. They had about three weeks together, before he returned to Chattanooga for the beginning of the Atlanta Campaign.

I knew from earlier study that Frank had been killed at Kennesaw Mountain; however, the date I had read was NOT June 27, 1864 the date of the main disastrous assault on the mountain. So I thought he was the victim of a sniper or some light forgotten action. Upon further study and after ordering the pension application of his wife and a dependent application from Frank's mother, my ggg-grandmother, Rebecca Martin, I discovered he was killed in the attack on "The Dead Angle" on June 27th, at Cheatham Hill. This was some of the heaviest fighting of the war and in some ways was Sherman's "Cold Harbor". Frank died, instantly I hope, of a head wound in the assault.

I had about one hour so I drove from the Marietta Cemetery to the Cheatham Hill area at the Kennesaw Mtn. BF. There is a tour stop for the "Illinois Monument", so I stopped and got out of the car. On a walking trail I passed a "Camouflaged Battery" (Mebane's Tennessee Battery) and just another fifty yards or so was an old monument to a C. H. Coffey, First Sergeant, Commanding Co I, 22nd Indiana Inf marking the exact location of his death. This was not only my uncle's same regiment, but his same company. Standing there I felt that I was in close proximity to the very location where my uncle must have breathed his last.

I am generally moved by visits to the parks, historic sites and cemeteries of the WBTS, but this was a little closer to home than usual. I just wanted to share my little adventure. Hopefully, in the near future I can go back and walk the trails for a day or two and really get the feel of the whole place. This is the third time I've visited the Kennesaw NBP, but I've never really had a lot of time to spend there.

I may post a few photos from my visit. If I do, I'll link to them here.


Messages In This Thread

To Stan
Re: To Stan
Here are some links.
Just for the sake of accuracy...
Re: To Stan
Re: To Stan
Re: To Stan