Actually there is more to the Sumter story than most people know--
1. The starving man argument is a lie. Anderson and his men where supplied by South Carolina.
2. The two Star of the West fleets to Charleston were armed fleets with soldiers, Lincoln was actually planning to invade South Carolina.
3. Confederates DID NOT fire the first shot at the invasion fleet, the fleet fired on a Confederate Ship leaving Charleston Harbor.
4. While the fleet said and attempted a invasion of South Carolina, a southern peace delegation wait ed to meet Lincoln. He never met with them.
5. While this one fleet said to South Carolina another with the same invasion purposes sailed to Pensacola, not surprising this fleet also fired first.
6. There was not a law against secession at the time and there is still not one.
7. The start of the war had nothing to do with slavery.