The South Carolina in the Civil War Message Board

Re: Wagener's Artillery
In Response To: Wagener's Artillery ()

Battery A, Charleston German Artillery, was organized as a volunteer unit of the SC Militia in 1842. Prior to its Confederate service, as outlined in Jim Martin's response, it was ordered to active duty by the state in early January 1861, as part of the 1st SC Militia Artillery, and detachments were stationed on Sullivanís Island, Castle Pinckney, and Morris Island until 24 April 1861. The battery was recalled to active duty on 12 October 1861, and was sent to Fort Walker on Hilton Head Island, SC. It was subsequently withdrawn to Green Pond, SC, where it was mustered into Confederate service on 1 April 1862. The reserve component of the battery was called into Confederate service with the 4th Brigade SC Militia for the defense of Charleston from 15 July to 26 September 1863.

Hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread

Wagener's Artillery
Re: Wagener's Artillery
Re: Wagener's Artillery