Taos was a community with a ferry on the Trinity River in Navarro County, about ten miles east of Corsicana. It was in use from about 1857 until 1885 when other routes became more popular from the coast with the population growth to the west and after Jefferson became land locked in 1873.
The Taos Ferry was on the wagon road that originated at Coffeeville and went through Gilmer - Tyler - Corsicana - Waco to Gatesville where it intersected the Austin - Gatesville - Brownwood Stage and Wagon Road. The Austin - Brownwood Stage and Wagon Road through Gatesville was established in 1860 after the Austin - Fort Groghan - Fort Phantom Hill military road fell into disuse due to Indian attacks along the western frontier.
In 1867, the Austin - Lampasas - Brownwood - Fort Concho (San Angelo) Wire Road was re-established after the Indian problem diminished and was eliminated by 1876. The longest telegraph line in the U.S. at the time was established on the Austin - Lampasas - Brownwood - Fort Concho Road. The telegraph line was rerouted to the railroad R.O.W. by 1888 as the Santa Fe Railroad was built to San Angelo. The Austin - Fort Phantom Hill Military Road was first mapped by the U.S. Army Topographical Engineers in 1848 with a branch ten miles north of the Colorado River that went through the vacinity of Comanche Texas to Fort Graham.