With many thanks to those on this board's help, here is some of St Johns' College's (1850-1882) contribution in the civil war. (1st Arkansas chartered college)
Like most institutions, she closed her door to education until after the civil war (1861-1867), however its staff, students and property were far from being strangers to the Confederate cause:
A)- Both, president and vice-president with others, created 1st Arkansas Infantry, then enlisting May 1, 1861 at Pine Bluff, Jefferson county, Arkansas (BRONAUGH in Company D). This before Arkansas (on its third ballot), became 9th state to secede from the Union, May 6th with one dissenting vote. They were mustered into Confederate service at Lynchburg, Campbell county, Virginia, 19 May, short two companies for regiment size. James Fleming FAGAN (1828KY-1893AR) elected colonel (served in Mexican war under Major Solon BORLAND, M D), James Cade MONROE lieutenant-colonel and THOMPSON major, later in Tennessee when reorganized elected lieutenant-colonel. Company D's 3rd-lieutenant BRONAUGH returned to Pine Bluff summer of 1861, recruiting more companies, which later became part of 2nd Battalion Arkansas Infantry under his command when promoted to major. The 2nd remained in Virginia February 1862 when Major THOMPSON
<http://books.google.com/books?id=dqkgAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA98&lpg=PA98&dq> requested the regiment be assigned to Tennessee. Lieutenant-colonel John Baker THOMPSON wrote his father April 4th from near Monterrey, Putman county, Tennessee, then wounded two days later (his 28th birthday), as part of an early wave of attack at Shiloh (near Pittsburgh Landing), Hardin county,Tennessee. Colonel James F FAGAN's letter from Cornith dated April 9th to THOMPSON's father said, hit with seven bullets, died the 8th, his official report:
"On the right of the regiment, dauntlessly leading the advance, fell Lieutenant Colonel John B. Thompson, mortally wounded, pierced with seven balls. His loss no one can feel so sensibly as myself. Like Havelock, he united the graces of religion to the valor of the soldier."
"THOMPSON was buried on "the field" by his orderly. His remains were transferred to Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond [Henrico county], Virginia, postwar, to lie beside his wife. According to Chris FERGUSON's book on Hollywood cemetery, which has a photo of THOMPSON, courtesy Library of Virginia."(5/30/07, Bruce ALLARDICE)
Former student Captain Thomas
Willoughby NEWTON, Jr of Company A, also dangerously injured, -- Margaret
"...was with him (THOMPSON) as he lay dying...",
likely at Cornith, Alcorn county, Mississippi, whose brother, former student of Kentucky's Western Military Institute, Captain Robert Crittenden (1840AR-1887AR) of Company F (later a CSA colonel), were in 3rd Regiment, Confederate Infantry, HINDMAN's Brigade, HARDEE's Corps, while THOMPSON in 1st Arkansas Infantry, in GIBSON's Brigade of BRAGG's Corps during battle of Shiloh. --- Major William Naylor BRONAUGH <http://books.google.com/books?id=dqkgAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq>, with sharp hazel eyes, auburn hair and slight of frame but highly thought of in Virginia, courageously commanded 2nd Battalion Arkansas Infantry, Confederate States Army, dying a hero, July 5, 1862 from a fragment of a shell to his lower right thigh received in Seven Days Battle, 4-miles northeast from Richmond, Henrico county, Virginia near Mechanicsville bridge, June 26th, with few of his troopers surviving. John William LEWIS <http://www.vmi.edu/archives/> (ID 952) enlisted Aug. 19, 1861 and appointed Adjutant of the 52nd Virginia Infantry; promoted to 1st Lieut. Dec. 2, 1861; Wounded in action at Port Republic; appointed Captain and Assistant Adjutant General Oct. 7, 1862 and ordered to Trans-Miss to report to Major Gen T H HOLMES; ordered to duty with Maj. Gen T C HINDNAN's division Jan. 23, 1863 and assigned as Assistant Adjutant General to Brig. Gen. D.M. FROST; assigned to duty at Head Quarters, District of Arkansas April 4, 1863; assigned to Brig. Gen T F DRAYTON's brigade Oct. 17, 1863 but soon back at District Head Quarters; There on staff of Maj. Generals S. PRICE and J. B. MAGRUDER until assigned as Assistant Adjutant General of PRICE's Division March 7, 1865; Ordered back to Head Quarters March 15, 1865. No further record found.
B)- Other St Johns' students joined
thirty-nine year old Captain William Edward WOODRUFF Junior's artillery company (1860 census, in widow Mary W W ASHLEY's (1798VA-1865AR) Markham street dwelling, listed above his parents) ie: George G BORLAND & Henry "Hal" HALLIBURTON, yet others in other units with some on June 1861 formed part of the "Capitol Guards", Company A, 6th Regiment Arkansas Infantry Volunteers, Confederate States Army under Gordon N PEAY, which was:
"....recruited from the "first families" of Little Rock, as well as prominent merchants and skilled artisans. There were a few St. Johns' College students in the company as well. You'd think that a company of "blue bloods" wouldn't be as feisty as the typical company of Arkansas farm-boys, but the Capitol Guards built quite a reputation during the war, as tenacious fighters and seasoned campaigners. The survivors of the company were among the "movers and shakers" of Little Rock for the rest of the 19th century.",
wrote Bryan HOWERTON on Arkansas Civil War Board.
C)- February 6, 1862, Mayor William E ASHLEY (s/o Mary W W & U S Senator Chester Ashley) reported to Arkansas State Gazette and Democrat, that school's Board of Trustees granted their property for hospital use. Therefore constructed on campus were eleven frame, temporary wooden, structures by the Confederated States of America, designed for 908 beds. St Johns' College became a large military hospital complex serving over 8,000 patients by 1865 with many surgeons including Dr Henry Montgomery DYE (1830VA-1878TX). First wounded were from March 1862 battle at Pea Ridge. Reportedly on May 8, 1862, there were six-hundred injured listed being cared for. Following Major General Sterling PRICE's (1809VA-1867MO) defeat at Little Rock, 10 September 1863, it became a United States General Hospital, with early newspaperman, William E WOODRUFF senior's home (wife's Judge George Claiburne (Claiborne?) WATKINS' sister), north across street, used as an officers hospital. (see 1865 photo in "HOW WE LIVED: ...", page 83 & Quapaw Quarter Association's 1864 map, page 97).
Such is some history of service to the Confederate States of America by those at and of St Johns' College of Arkansas.