When Fort Beauregard was first constructed, it was commanded by Lieut. Col. George Washington Logan. He received permission and ultimately raised the 2nd Louisiana Heavy Artillery Battalion to serve as the fort's garrison. Benton's Louisiana Battery was also a part of the garrison. In early 1864, Polignac's Texas Brigade was in the area of Fort Beauregard and helped turn back a Union naval expedition that had come up the Ouachita. All of the units at the fort came under Major General Richard Taylor's District of Western Louisiana and nominally were a part of the Sub-District of North Louisiana.