Ok everyone here is the 59/60 returned battleflags in 1905 by the War Department. Please realize that these Union flags were identified, at least 250 more Union flags (that had been captured by the Confederates) were not identified back in 1905. I dont have or know where to find the 250 Union flags "Unidentified".
Here is the list:
1). 34th Illinois--10th Texas Cav (Dismounted) (Col Locke).
2). 28th Illinois--Regimental lost at Jackson, Mississippi on 12 July, 1863.
3). 62nd Illinois--Lost their Regimental--nothing further.
( I believe the 62nd Illinois lost their flags during Van Dorn's Holly Spring raid. The 62nd Illinois was there on guard duty and 170 men the Major and 3 Lieutenants. This is where I believe they lost their Regimental flag.
4) 79th Illinois--18th Texas Cavarly (Dismounted), Deshler's Brigade, Hill's Corps. Well after knowing that Deshler was killed at Chickamauga, and "Hill's Corps" means D.H.Hill leads me to believe this flag was captured at Chickamuaga. It did not report where the flag was captured or date.
5) 85th Illinois--Regimental was lost on July 20th, 1864 to Hardee's Corps, Atlanta, Georgia. (After checking out the "Illinois flag, website: http://www.civil-war.com/searchpages/result.asp?Name=062nd&category=Infantry&Submit=Search+for+Flags
The 85th Illinois did lost their flag on July 20th, 1864 which is the battle of Peach Tree Creek. They were not in the main fight, I believe they lost their flag "while crossiing" the river. Jefferson Davis's Union Division, portions had a hard time crossing Peach Tree Creek. Only old Dan McCook's brigade so serious fighting. Since Dan McCook was killed at Kennasaw Mountain, 2nd in command was Col Dilworth (old commander of the 85th Illinois). While crossing Peach Tree Creek they tried to take a hill overlooking Howell's Ferry crossing, losing 245 men. This is where I believe the 85th Illinois lost their Regimental flag at.
6) 104th Illinois--Regimental captured on Dec 7th, 1862 at Hartsville, Tenn, by the 9th Kentucky Infantry.
7) 104th Illinois--National flag captured by the 2nd Kentucky same place as their Regimental flag.
8) 61st Illinois--"Company G." on the flag. Nothing follows. (On the Illinois flag site, this flag is mentioned captured at/near Murfreesboro, Tenn on Dec 15th, 1864.)
9) 11th Illinois--Nothing follows.
10) 60th Indiana--Regimental lost at Munfordsville-Gen Bragg's army. Nothing follows.
11) 23rd Massachusetts---Kemper's Brigade captured their flag on May 16th, 1864 at Drewry's Bluff.
12) 58th Massachusetts--16th Va captured at Petersburg, July 30th, 1864.
13) 30th Indiana--Lt. Meade, Sharpshooters, Polk's Corps, captured at Chickamauga.
14) 22nd Iowa--44th Ga captured this near Winchester, Sep 19th, 1864.
15) 6th Kentucy Cav (Usa)--Flag type? Captured by Gen. Wheeler's, Sept 21, 1863. (1 of 18 flags captured by Wheeler at Chickamauga). The other flag is the 89th Ohio's other flag not captured by Trigg's brigade at Chickamauga. They put the flag in their sutler's wagon, wagon broke down on the retreat, Wheeler's men scooped up the flag in the wagon.
16) 1st Maine, Regimental flag lost, "2nd Brigade, 4th Division". Nothing follows. (I do believe this flag was lost at 1st Manassas). The 1st Maine was a 90 day regiment.
17) 9th Maine Infantry--Guidon lost. Nothing follows.
18) 9th Maryland Infantry (USA)- Flay type? Captured at Charlestown, Va Oct 18th, 186?. The 18th Va Cav in Col Imboden's Brigade. Nothing follows.
19) 15th Massachusetts lost "US Flag" to the 3rd Georgia on June 22nd, 1864 at Petersburg, Virginia. *Most likely their National flag was captured.
20) 19th Massachusetts lost their National flag to the 11th Alabama on June 22nd, 1864 at Petersburg, Virginia.
21) 17th Michigan lost a flag-Type? on May 12th, 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania. It also noted that the 17th Michigan went into battle with 750 men and 60 came back.
22)--19th Michigan, 9th Tenn Cav captured a flag, type? At Thompson's Station, Tennessee. On March 5th, 1863.
23)--20th Michigan--59th Virginia captured a flag, type? Only July 30th, 1864.
24)--22nd Michigan lost their National--Nothing follows. This was the National flag lost at Chickamauga. 54th Virginia captured this flag.
25)---20th Migigan lost their Regimental flag to the 9th Alabama on July 30th, 1864 at Petersburg, Virginia.
26)---22nd Michigan lost their Regimental flag to the 54th Virginia, at Chickamauga.
27)---Missouri Flag (USA)-- "United We Stand,Divided We Fall" ----No History, nothing to follow.
28) US.Flag---"Presented by the citizens of Weston, MO (Missouri) to Capt. Dolman's Co.---Nothing follows.
29)--11th New Hampshire---6th Virginia captured on July 30th, 1864. The 11th New Hamshire lost their National flag.
30)---2nd New York State Militia---Regimental Guidon--Nothing follows.
31)---12th New York lost Regimental flag, "Presented by the city of New York". Aka State colors lost.n Nothing follows.
32)--51st New York, "Shepard's Rifles"--Nothing follows.
33)--66th New York, Regimental Guidon captured at Brandy Station by Jeb. Stuart's men.
34)--"Flag of 1st Irish Brigade", lost at Fredericksburg to MG. Anderson's Division, Dec 13th, 1962.
35)-- 96th New York--National lost, Nothing follows.
36)--92nd New York--"Excelsior" on flag--Nothing follows.
37)--103rd New York, lost their Regimental flag to the 17th Virginia at Sharpsburg on Sep 17th, 1862.
38)--104th New York, "Wadsworth Guards". Nothing follows. (This flag was captured at Gettysburg, July 1st, 1863. This was the 104th New York's "National Flag".
39)--113th New York, "Excelsior", Nothing follows.
40)--21st Ohio, National captured by the 54th Virginia at Chickamauga.
41)--21st Ohio's Regimental flag captured by the 7th Florida at Chickamauga.
42)--58th Ohio, Regimental. Nothing follows. (This flag I believe was captured at Chickasaw Bayou.)
43)--60th Ohio, Regimental flag captured at Harper's Ferry, Sep 15th, 1862, A.P.Hill's Division.
44)--5th PA Cav--Lost 2 Cav Guidon's at Williamsburg, Sep 9th, 1862.
45)--11th Pa Reserve (40th PA)--State Flag captured along with most of the regiment in June 1862. The flag was retaken in April, 1865.
46)--46th Pa--(12th Corps) lost their State Flag at Chancellorsville on May 2nd, 1863.
47)--77th PA--State Flag captured at Chickamauga, retaken in 1865.
48)--105th PA, National flag lost, captured on Oct 27th, 1864. Nothing follows.
49)--105th PA, Regimental Flag captured on Oct 27th, 1864 (Burgess Mill), Petersburg, Virginia. (Same as National)
50)--100th PA lost their flag type? 16th Virgnia captured a flag on July 30th, 1864.
51)--149th PA, lost their National flag to Colquitt's brigade at Petersburg, Virginia. Nothing follows.
52)--149th PA, lost their National Flag to the 55th Virginia on 1 July, 1863 at Gettysburg.
53)--2nd Tenn (East) (USA) lost their National Flag to the 10th Kentucky Battalion (CSA) on November 6th, 1863 at Big Creek, Tennessee (Rogersville)
54)--2nd Tenn (East) (USA) lost their Regimental Flag to the 4th Kentucky Cav on November 6th, 1863 at Big Creek, TN (Rogersville), Same as National.
55)--7th Tennessee (East) (USA), lost their Regimental Flag to the 12th Georgia Battalion on Aug 15th, 1862 at Fort Cliff, Huntsville, Tennessee.
56)--21st Wisconsin, lost their Regimental Flag to the 1st MS?? Humphrey's Brigade, McLaw's Div, Longstreet's Corps. (Its either the 13th, 17th, 18th and the 21st Mississippi that captured this flag). Nothing Follows. *After just checking the history of the 21st Wisconsin, this regiment was surrouned at Chickamauga and surrendered a flag. The 21st Wisconsin was the last regiment to pullout of the entire Union army. Gen Thomas's order to retreat was not heard by the 21st Wisconsin.
57)--36th Wisconsin lost their National Flag to the 44th North Carolina on August 25th, 1864.
58)--"Flag of the State of Wisconsin", Nothing Follows.
Thats all of them.
Have a great weekend,