Flagstaff, Arizona has always been a “favorite town” of mine. But before there was a Flagstaff, Lt. E. F. Beale blazed his wagon road thru the Flagstaff area in 1857 with his camels in the lead, built his road in 1858 as his camels rejoined him there from California, and he found its (BWR's) winter operational conditions to be OK on his return from California in February 1859.
The BLM land survey of 1878 (see below) specifically identifies and locates the Beale Wagon Road passing across northern Flagstaff. See the old BWR crossing Sec. 2 & 3 in the 1878 BLM Initial Land Survey for T21N, R7E, Gila and Salt River Meridian. Sec. 16 has the Flagstaff pole, Old Town Pond & Antelope Springs (Beale’s special watering holes), now at 1778 N. Thorpe Avenue, Flagstaff, Arizona. The website is at:
Also, see Google Maps for the site of “Original Flagstaff Replica,” 1778 N. Thorpe Avenue, Flagstaff Arizona, with Old Pond in background and related historical marker at base of flag pole in attached pictures.
East Linda Vista Drive tracks the Old Beale Wagon Road from Old US 66 at US 89 (Flagstaff Mall) west across Northern Flagstaff several miles to N. Paradise Road, then northwest to US 180 at Schultz Pass Road, near the Museum of Northern Arizona.